Place names of Lelant
© Maxwell Adams 2004-2014
Version: 15 September 2014
This lists the various place names of Lelant as found on censuses, maps, and other documents. It includes the names of lands, hamlets, farms, roads, and fields. Also see Placenames in the Lelant tithe apportionment book on this site.
Where possible I have worked out the approximate Ordnance Survey (OS) grid references. The single six-figure references themselves are accurate to one hundred metres for defined settlements and the first three digits refer to the easting running eastwards and the last three to the northing running nothwards. Some entries have eleven digits. Areas such as Stert are of course spread around the grid reference. All are in the SW square.
Many of the names have a variety of spellings over the years.
The sections in this article are:
names in the rural part of the former Lelant parish outside Lelant village
None of these are now part of Lelant. The number after MR is the page number in the reference book: see Sources.
Balnoon: 508381. There is a public house in the area called the Balnoon Inn (formerly called Noah's Ark and before that Curlews).
Barshaba: 1841 census version of modern Beersheba.
Beersheba: 152587, 37014. Spelled like this in the TA. It is variously spelt: see Barshaba, Beershebar, Boshaba, and Bethsheba. In the Lelant poor book 1770-1802 spellings include Bersheaba and Bosheaba.
Beershebar: In MR 13 the name for Beersheba. Also Beershebars.
Berepter: The name on MR for the present Porthrepta Road at Carbis Bay. In the TA called Bareptor Lane.
Bethsheba: The name on Creighton of present Beersheba.
Boshaba: An entry for 1771/1772 in the Lelant poor book, overseers accounts (CRO CP/120/2/1), probably for present Beersheba.
Boshaherthine: An entry for 6 October 1716 for land and a house in Lelant in Gnoll estate papers (Gn 1/198) at West Glamorgan Archives.
Boskerras: The name on Creighton of present Boskerris. See also Boskerry.
Boskerras Wartha: In MR and TA. Present Trewartha Farm is unnamed at TA 246 and Trewartha Farmhouse at TA 259.
Boskerris: Now an unnamed part of Carbis Bay. Boskerris Woollas and Boskerris Wartha are both in MR and TA. See Boskerras, Boskerry.
Boskerry: sale and lease mentioned in Sherborne Mercury 1778; presumably Boskerras and Boskerris.
Bostratha: Stamps marked on the MR map between Treva and Trevethoe, about a quarter of a mile east of Treva. The tithe map records Bostritha Pond.
Bostritha: see Bostratha.
Bowl/Bowl Rock: 525365. There is a large rock here and a few houses and a former Methodist chapel (Lelant Downs Wesleyan chapel) which is now a house called Bowl Rock Chapel Cottage. The chapel is the northern part of the Mount Tyack holding in MR.
Canonstown: 532350. A settlement on the A30 road to Penzance, named after John Rogers (1778-1856), an Anglican priest.
Carbence, Lower and Higher: In MR, now part of Carbis Bay.
Carbis: A settlement now part of Carbis Bay.
Carbis Bay: Now a large settlement adjoining St Ives on the southeast.
Carbis Valley: A settlement now part of Carbis Bay.
Carbis Water: 522383. A settlement now part of Carbis Bay.
Carn/Carne: 502358. On the road north from Lock. Marked on the TM but not on MR. Also recorded as Cairne in STBR 1828, 1829. Compare with Carns Downs.
Carninney: 521385. Now part of Carbis Bay.
Carns Downs: In the 1841 census between Lelant Downs and Rejarne, in the 1851 census between Lelant Downs and Carntiscoe. Recorded as Cairne Down in SUBR 1830. Called Carne Downs in the 1871 census. Compare with Carne/Carne.
Carntiscoe: 152287, 35903. There is a Carntiscoe Farm. In the 1841 census called Carntiska. On the TM Carntiscoe is south of the road. Recorded as Cairnetiska in SUBR 1827-1830.
Carntiscoe Downs: On the TM southeast of Carntiscoe.
Carntiska: See Carntiscoe.
Charlestown: 531385. A settlement in the nineteenth century but the name is not used now and the area is part of Carbis Bay near St Anta's church.
Chyangweal: A settlement in the nineteenth century but now part of Carbis Bay. A Methodist chapel and a park there are both called Chyangweal. In C19 often spelled Chyangwail.
Cock's Lane: A track running off the sand dunes towards Gunwin (MR, page 27).
Coombe: 151429, 36047. A settlement at the south of Trencrom Hill; presentday Coombe Farm and Cottage are there. Not marked on MR or TM but Comb is in the 1851 census and Coombe in the 1891 census. 'The Coome' is named as a dwelling house and garden in Polpeor tenement in a lease of 1776 (CRO X/473/93). "Coome" is recorded in SUBR 1827. Presentday Coombe Farmhouse is at 514361.
Crosslanes: In the 1841 census a settlement after Westway and Nance. Probably where the Lelant/Balnoon road meets the road to Trink and Brunnion.
Downs Lane: The road running past Splattenridden Farm.
Durler Farm: in the 1891 census as this, but MR records Durlah at 538359 in the vicinity of present Rose-and-Grouse Farm and in the 1841 and 1851 censuses there is a Durler Croft here south of Splattenridden. The TM has Durlar Stile fields here. There is no Rose-an-Grouse Farm in the 1891 census. SUBR 1827 and 1828 has Durla Down and 1829, 1830, 1839 Durlow Croft.
Dyers Tenement: 541362. Fields in this holding are marked here on the MR map.
Foage: See Fogue.
Fogue: 517371. In the 1841 census called Foage.
Fuggo: In the 1841 census between Chyangweal and Carninney. There is a Fuggoe Lane today in Carbis Bay. Fuggoe is in the TA.
Golden Cock Plantation: 537361. In TA 1602. A wood that is still there.
Golden Cot: In the nineteenth century between Roseangrouse and Lelant. Perhaps linked to Golden Cock Plantation.
Gooninny: an address recorded in SUBR 1827. Goninny is recorded for the same family in SUBR 1830. Possibly Gunwin/Gonwin where the family are recorded in the 1841 census.
Gonew: A settlement. In the 1841 census called Gunew.
Gonew Viscoe: 151719, 35854. In the TA.
The Grove: A settlement in the nineteenth century between Roseangrouse and Lelant. On the TM there is Grove Gate Toll House, a few metres north of St Erth railway station on the west side of the A30 road.
Grove Gate: see The Grove.
Gunwin/Gonwin: 534381. A settlement and farm. SUBR records Goonwyn 1830.
Gunew: See Gonew.
Hallnoon: In the 1841 census between Trink and Wheal Reath. In MR there is a Hellynoon Downs northeast of Trink. In TA Hellynoon Downs are 475-486.
Hendra: 529373. In MR 12 and in the TA.
Higher Treloweth: 535354. A settlement in the area of the Lamb and Flag public house on the A30 between Roseangrouse and Canonstown. The name is not now used.
Hosking Lane: In the 1891 census this entry falls between Carntiscoe and Gonew so I deduce it is the road running from Rejarne and passing to the south of Trencrom Hill, or less likely a now-lost lane off this road.
Isaac's Downs: In MR and on the TM southwest of Mennor.
Laity: 527378. A settlement.
Lampurian. See Lipurion.
Lapurian: see Lipurion.
Lelant Downs: 527369.
Lipurion: 521369. In the 1841 census between Trevarrack and Bowl. In MR 13, 25 there are fields called Lapurian and Lampurian. In the TA marked as Lapurian.
Little Trevethow: see Park Deglis.
Lock/Locke: 150151, 35504. TM says Locke, now called Trelocke. There was a Lock Farm. See Locks Mill.
Locks Mill: A name on Creighton of a place on the Red River at Lock. See Lock.
Longstone: 531388. A settlement in the nineteenth century, now part of Carbis Bay in the area of the road called Longstone Hill.
Mennor: 152519, 36662.
The Mill: 541364. Now the Watermill public house.
Moor Grove: Recorded in London Gazette 31 January 1902, page 68 , as residence in Lelant for debtor; in 1911 census; in the Journal of the Royal Institution of Cornwall for 1922, page 109, there is a reference to a plant found on a "bank between St Erth Station and Moor Grove, Lelant".
Morrice Downs: On the TM southeast of Rejarne.
Mount Douglas: 152645, 37575.
Mount Tyack: 522365. In MR 25 and on the TM fields south of Bowl.
Nance: 151414, 37522.
New Castle: A settlement at the south of Trencrom Hill by Coombe.
Ninnes Bridge: 151466, 35846. In TA spelled Ninnis Bridge.
Ninnis/Ninnes: A settlement.
Park Deglis: 526378. MR records this near Hendra and gives an alternative name of Little Trevethow. TM records only the name Little Trevethow.
Per Top Lane: Marked and named in MR as a track running southwards off the present St Ives Road and still there. See Pol Top.
Polpeor: 151216, 36095. A settlement. Called Pullpear in 1770/1771 in the Lelant Poor Book (CRO P/120/12/1).
Polpots: In the 1841 census near Treva. On MR called Polputs. SUBR 1830 records a Penpots, probably the same place.
Pol Top: In WPRDC minutes 22 September 1904 a place in Lelant described as Pol Top on the St Ives Road;WPRDC minutes 17 November 1904 Poll Top. See Per Top Lane.
Rejarne: 152823, 35992. A settlement sometimes called Rosejarn. Called Rejaren in the Lelant Poor Book for 1770/1771 (CRO P/120/12/1).Recorded as Rejairne in SUBR 1828, 1829.
Rose an Grouse: 540357. A settlement on the A30 road to Penzance.
Rose an Grouse Lane: The name marked on MR map for the A30 at Rose an Grouse.
Rosejarn: See Rejarne.
Samuel Uren's Place: in the 1871 census a settlement between Lelant Downs and Carne Downs.
Sheep Downs: in the TA.
Spernons: In MR and on the TM northeast of Beersheba.
Splattenridden: 153455, 36128. A farm marked on the TM and extant.
Stert: 543363. An area between the present Nut Lane and the Old Quay House. Also called Start. In MR and in the TA.
Trelocke: See Lock.
Trembetha: A name on Creighton for modern Trembethow.
Trembethow: 509358. A settlement. See Trembetha.
Trencrom: 515367. A settlement to the northwest of Trencrom Hill. Also called in the past Trecrobben.
Trencrum: An entry for land in 1770/1771 in the Lelant poor book, overseers' accounts (CRP P/120/12/1), a spelling of the modern Trencrom.
Trencrumb: An entry for land in 1771/1772 in the Lelant poor book, overseers' accounts (CRP P/120/12/1), a spelling of the modern Trencrom.
Treva: on MR and TM. Treva Croft Wood 152882, 36508.
Trevarrack: 151881, 37221. There was formerly a mine in the area.
Trevarrack School: 152145, 36804. Now a public house called the Tyringham Arms.
Trewharra/Trewarha/Trewarrah: Now part of Carbis Bay. Truvarra appears in the Lelant poor book for 1778/79 and Trewarra for 1794/95. Trewarrah is recorded in the Calendar of Fine Rolls for 1389. Trewarrow Downs, SUBR 1839.
Trink: 512371. A settlement.
Venwyn: 151887, 37841. In the TA called Venvyn.
Vorvas, Worvas: 515382. A settlement. There are now Lower and Higher Vorvas and Vorvas Vean in the area. Vorvas Vean is recorded in the TA. (151652, 38392 Vorvas Vean Farm). Vorvas Crease, SUBR 1838. Presentday Worvas Farm is TA 294.
Westway: 151099, 37738. There is a house here called Westway.
Wheal Kitty: 510362. A tin mine.
Wheal Reeth: 505370. A tin mine by Trink Hill.
Wheal Sisters: 509363. A tin mine.
Withen: (151901, 38062 Withen Farm.) Also spelt Withan, Within, (in MR and TM) Wythan, and in SUBR 1829 Withyan. In TA Wythan farm is 376.
Worvas: See Vorvas.
The Wyth. In MR 11 fields that are part of Trevethow Barton. There is also a Wyth Plantation in the same area, MR 12.
The order of rural settlements in the 1841 census
Trenoweth, Longstone, Rookrey (possibly Bookrey), Charlestown, Gunwin, Gunwin Cliff; Trencrom, Mount Tyack, Foage, Trink, Hallnoon, Wheal Reeth, Carne, Locke, Trembethow, Brunion (sic), Polpear (sic), Ninnis, Gunew, Trencrom Hill, Carntiska, Lelant Downs, Carns Downs, Rejarne, Trevarrack, Lipurion, Bowl, Barshaba, Mennor, Polpots, Treva, Mount Duglas (sic), Trevethow, Hendaa (sic), Lower Laity, Beershebar: In MR 13 the name for Beersheba. Also Beershebars. Little Trevethow, Isaac's Downs: In MR and on the TM southwest of Mennor.Varrack, Venwin, Trewarra, Boskerris, Carbas (sic), Higher Carbis, Lower Carbis, Chyangweal, Fuggo, Carninney, Vorvas, Westway, Nance, Crosslanes.
The order of rural settlements in the 1851 census
Some folios are unreadable and the place names are not recorded here.
Hendra, Splattenridden, Durler Croft, Sheep Downs, Rosengrows Turnpike Road, Rosengrows, Grove Gate, Griggs, Mills; Trevarrack, ?, Vorvas, Carninney, Fuggoe, Chyangweal, Carbas, Boskerris, ?, Withan, Litle Trevarrack, Laity, Treva, Menor (sic), Bowl, Barsh.ba, Fogue, Nance, Westway, Balnoon, Trink Hill, Trink; Lock, Carn(e), Wheal Reeth, Brunnion, Polpear (sic), Comb, Trencrom, Rejearne (sic), Lelant Downs, Carns Downs, Carntiscoe, Ninnes Bridge, Ninnes, Trembethow.
The order of rural settlements in the 1891 census
Lower Trenoweth, Higher Trenoweth, Gonwin, Charlestown, Carbis Water, Carbis, Longstone; Treloweth, Canonstown, Rose an Grouse, Durler Farm, Golden Cot, Splattenridden, The Mill; Laity, Grove Cottage, Grove Villa, Boskerris, Carbis, Beersheba, Chyangweal, Venwyn, Trewharra, Withan, Carninney, Vorwas, Balnoon, Westway, Nance, Trink, Fogue, Bowl, Mennor, Trevarrack, Locke, Carne, Wheal Reeth, Brunnion, Polpeor Farm, Coombe, New Castle, Trencrom Hill, Ninnis Bridge, Rejarne, Lelant Downs, Carntiscoe, Hosking Lane, Gonew, Ninnis, Wheal Kitty, Trembethow.
Place names in Lelant village
Anne's Wood: the public wood on the site of nineteenth-century clay workings near Lelant railway halt, given by the Rostrons in memory of their daughter Anne Rostron and now run by the Woodland Trust.
Balls Lane: the lane running from Church Road to Green Lane. The Ball family lived at Littlewood at the southeastern end of the lane.
Bar of Lelant: in the Penheleg Ms in the sixteenth century; presumably the bank of sand in the estuary mouth that in the tithe apportionment was called, and is now called, Hayle Bar.
Bowling Green Lane: on the MR map a track running southwards off the present Church Lane. This is still there.
Brewery: there was a brewery in Green Lane.
Brewery Hill: there is no way marked on the TM for this.
Brewery Quay: a quay, the remains of which are still visible, in Lelant Water off Green Lane.
Brush End: from about 1940 the name for the 1834 vicarage but now the name of a group of houses in its vicinity and including it.
Chapel Anta: a point of rocks at the mouth of the River Hayle, the likely site of a chapel established with a compositio around 1500 between some villagers and the vicar but no longer there. There are many variants of the name: Ansa, Anjoe, Anjer, Angier, Anja, Anjou, Annyer, Ainger. In 1794 the name is given as "Chapel Aunger Rock" (CRO X/473/100). The name occurs in the original Compositio (DRO), Penheleg Ms for the regnal year 1573/74, Lelant terriers of 1679 and 1727, and more recently.
Church Road/Lane: in the 1841 and 1881 censuses what is now called Church Road, the road from the crossroads to St Uny's church, was called Church Lane. In the 1861 and 1891 censuses it is called Church Road. What is now called Church Lane, the road from St Uny's to Gunwin and Longstone, was called Towans Lane and Vounder Lane.
Clay Quay: a former quay on the site of the present Dynamite Quay; see for example the maps with CRO QS/PDR/14/5, proposals of 1852 for a railway to Clay Quay; and CRO QS/PDR/14/7, proposals of 1860 for a railway to Clay Quay. In the 1841 census there is an entry for Old Clay Quay, Quay Lane; I am unclear whether this is the same quay.
Cogars Lane: Former name for the part of the Saltings (Sea Lane) which meets the main road.
The Cross: the area around the crossroads at the Badger and by the stone cross which is now part of the war memorial. This name is not now used.
Dynamite Quay: the quay on the river, called this because in World War II there was a warehouse for explosive fuses here. Its metal skeletal remains can still be seen. See Lelant Quays, Praeds Wharfs. It is built on the site of Clay Quay.
Great Lane: The present Church Road. MR map book: "Great Lane, leading to the church."
Griggs Channel: marked on the TM as the permanent river across Lelant Water running alongside the present Saltings Road and to the Old Quay House and passing Griggs and Harvey quays.
Gunwin/Gonwin: a farm and settlement
The Hard: the run of tidal and mainly stony land at the northwest edge of Lelant Water from Brewery Quay to Pedn Cruk. Also was called the Mackerel Boats.
Higher Lelant: the northern part of Lelant. This name is no longer used.
Higher Trenoweth/Trenowith: a settlement on St Ives Road, to the north of Lower Trenoweth. The modern spelling is Trenoweth.
Lake Lane: marked and named on MR where it is the western part of the road from Trevethoe roundabout to the Old Quay House, running past the present Griggs Forge and Merlins.
Leannas: there is a reference in document CRO GP 173 of 14 May 1735 to a deed including 1/8th of Leannas Bounds near St Uny's Church. See the entry for Levenus Hill in the section on field names.
Lelant Hotel: a former name of the Badger public house.
Lelant Melting House: described as 'formerly a tin smelting house adjoining Lelant Town and Hayle river' in transaction CRO X 473/100 dated 1 January 1794
Lelant Quays: a name given in the 1870s when it was built to what is now called Dynamite Quay.
The Love: in the 1891 census a dwelling near the Badger and Quay Lane according to the order of entries.
Lower Lelant: the southern part of Lelant, Trendreath. Lower Lelant is a name still used.
Lower Town: another name, not now used, for Lower Lelant.
Lower Trenoweth/Trenowith: a settlement on St Ives Road, to the south of Higher Trenoweth. The modern spelling is Trenoweth.
The Mackerel Boats: a name given in the 1930s to the Hard. The mackerel boats were overwintered here. The name is no longer used.
Mr Praeds old boathouse: mentioned in a transaction CRO X 473/91 dated 28 August 1756
The Muds: a name given in the 1930s to the Saltings, what is now largely the football pitch. The name is no longer used.
New Inn: a former name of the Badger public house.
Newton's cellars: a sale here mentioned in the Sherborne Mercury 4 July 1774; also in CRO x 473/94 as in the occupation of Stephen Newton.
Norwaymans Dock: A former quay north of the present Dynamite Quay where probably boats with timber from Norway used to dock and unload in the nineteenth century. Marked on the 1839 tithe map of Lelant as Norwaymans Dock and referred to in the reference book accompanying the 1838 Moody/Rutger maps as Norwaymans Quay. There is a possible reference to this in a 1785 lease (CRO X/473/97).
Nut Lane: the road by the present garden centre. Nut Lane Fields, marked on the TM, they were south of Nut Lane. Nut Lane is an entry for 1770-1771 and subsequently in the Lelant poor book, the overseers' accounts (CRO P/120/12/1).
Pascoe's cellars: mentioned as the cellars and premises late in the occupation of Thomas Pascoe in transaction CRO X473/91 dated 28 August 1756; and also similarly mentioned in CRO X 473/97.
Pedn Cruk: the spur of land at the dog' s leg of the river and Lelant Water, the narrowest stretch of water, opposite the hillfort of Carnsew and an crossing point at the end of the old trackway. In MR called Pedna Crook.
Pedna Crook: see Pedn Cruk.
Polkemyas, Polkymyas: a name in the Penheleg Ms in the sixteenth century, presumably what are now called Porthkidney sands.
Polkidnow Sand: a name given on MR to what are now called Porthkidney sands.
Porthkidney Sands: a beach at Lelant running westwards towards Carbis Bay. Former names are Polkidnow, Polkemyas, and Polkymyas.
Praed(s) Arms: a former name of the Badger public house.
Praeds Cottage: a cottage next to and south of the Badger public house, demolished in the twentieth century. Also called Praeds Villa and Hotel Cottage.
Praed's old boathouse: see Mr Praed's old boathouse
Praeds Wharf(s): a name given in the 1870s when it was built to what is now called Dynamite Quay.
Quay Lane: now called Station Hill; it led from the crossroads to the quay. In eighteenth-century leases it is called Key Lane.
The Saltings: this is used to refer to several aspects of Lelant - now, the road which was formerly called Sea Lane and the track extending it which was metalled in the 1960s; now, the park-and-ride railway station; in the past, the area of wetland which is largely taken up by the football pitch and the park-and-ride carpark. Also see Cogars Lane.
Sea Lane: a former name for what is now called the Saltings.
Skidney Lane: running from near Brush End to the St Ives Road near Tyringham Row. Now an overgrown track but marked plainly on Creighton's 1835 map. In Victorian and Edwardian times it is called Skidden Widden Lane and Skiddeny Widdeny Lane (Incidents in the life of Martin Hosking , 1905). In the TM apportionment and MR reference book several fields around are called Skiber Whidden and near variants of that name and a lease of 1730 has Skeeber Widden.
Sunny Corner: an entry in the 1841 census between Gunwin and Tyringham Place.
Towan Lane: on MR a track running northwestwards alongside present house called Tremar, Church Road; still there. See Towans Lane,
Towans Lane: on MR the part of what is now called Church Lane near St Uny's church. See Towan Lane and Towans Fields.
Trenoweth Great Lane: on MR what is now called St Ives Road, running past Lower and Higher Trenoweth.
Trendreath: the historic name for the southern part of Lelant, Lower Lelant.
Tyringham Cottage: on the MR map there is a handdrawn addition of a cottage about three hundred yards west of St Uny's church just north of Church Lane. The handwritten note alongside appears to say Tyringham Cottage (or possibly Cottages). This would put it in the vicinity of the golf club house so it is possibly what was later called The Cot and became the club manager's quarters. The 1841 census includes Tyringham Cottage.
Tyringham Place/Row: Tyringham Place was built in 1835 according to its date plate. It was called Tyringham Place in the 1841 and 1861 censuses, but was called Tyringham Row in the 1881 and 1891 censuses and the twentieth century. Tyringham Row is now the name given to a few much more recent houses at its northwestern end. Tyringham Place is detailed in the TA; in MR the area where Tyringham Place is built is called Park-an-Hale (MR 27) and Tyringham Place is a handdrawn addition to the map.
Vounder Lane: on MR a former name given to what is now called Church Lane.
Water Lane: in Lower Lelant; mentioned in the minutes of West Penwith rural district council 9 May 1895, CRO DC/WPDC/195.
Watering Lane: on MR a track runing southwards off the present Church Lane. There is a reference to Watering Lane in a 1756 lease (CRO X/473/91).
and associated names
Only the most distinctive names are recorded here.
1696 (Joel Gascoyne, Lanhydrock
Atlas, CRO FS2/32/1/7 and 8)
Park an Grows
1730 (RIC RGB BIRTILL/5/2 and 5/3, leases dated 25 April 1730)
Gabmas 5/3: 'stitch of land in Lelant fields called the Gabmas.'
Livenans 5/3: 'stitch of land in Livenans.' See Levenus Hill and Livenus fields in the 1839 Tithe Map part of this section.
Parkan Gwirter (adjoins Skeeber Widden) 5/2. Parkan written as one word.
Parkan Grouse (Trenoweth) 5/2. Parkan written as one word.
Polironogowe 5/3: 'stitch of land adjoining with the churchway on the west called Polironogowe close.' The name probably means 'pool of toads.'
Skeeber Widden (at its north adjoins Parkan Gwirter) 5/2: see Skidney Lane and Skibber Widden.
1740 (RIC CARNE/10/13)
Park an Grouse (on MR called Town Field)
1820/1838 (a map made in 1838 by I Rutger as a copy of one made in 1820 by Charles Moody, RIC HJ/5/4. The number after the name is the page number in the reference book for the map. An entry like Park Cocken (Little, Great) means that there are two fields, one called Little Park Cocken and one called Great Park Cocken. For the fields called "skibber widden" and so forth, see Tithe barn at Lelant?
Bryant's Park Pons 26
Golastrea 26, 31, and 46
Grey's Tenement 22
Harry Mussy 43
Homer Field 44
Jenkin's Garden 32
The Killio 24. The field at the first corner of the Saltings after the main road.
Nicholas's Park Pons 26
Nicholls Field 28
Park Backside (and Lower Park Backside) 27
Park Bal (Higher, Lower) 26
Park Clebma 26 (and Lower Park Clebma 26)
Park Cocken (Little, Great) 28
Park Bean 41
Park-Grows (Near, Middle, Further) 41
Park Maid 27
Park Noweth 27
Park Oan (Higher, Lower) 26
Park Skiber 25
Park Venton 41
Park Victor (Higher, Inner, and Lower) 26
Park Vorn 41
Pedn Drea 42
Pedn Skidden 41
Pol Tops 31
Quay Meadow 43
Sam's Field 45
Sandy Field 31
Skibber Widden 45. In a transaction recorded in document CRO X 473/90 dated 10 August 1749 there is a reference to Skeberwyn; and in lease 5/2 dated 1730 in the RGB Birtill Collection at the RIC library there is land called Skeeber Widden.
Skibor Widden 27
Skipper Widden 26
Skipper Widden (Higher, Near) 26
Sprigg's Field 31
Trenedias: name given to the holding of a group of fields, not all contiguous, in MR 34; also in TM apportionment.
Uren's Field 32
1827 (RIC ELLIS/8/31)
1839 Tithe map (CRO)
Glebe. The tithe apportionment shows Old Glebe, fields in the vicinity of the present house Tregilly; the 1841-61 censuses identify Old Glebe in this vicinity. MR map shows glebe and vicarial glebe fields in the vicinity of Skidney Lane.
Levenus Hill and Levenus fields: in the tithe apportionment fields off Church Lane east of Gonwin. There is unidentifed land called Leavenas in the 1772 entries of Lelant overseers' poor book and Levannas (1774/75 entries), Levonas (1776/77 and 1777/78 entries), and Levenas (1774/75 and 1782/83 entries) (CRO P/120/12/2). A 'stitch of land in Livenans' occurs in a 1730 lease (RGB Birtill Collection 5/3 at RIC). See the entry for Leannas above.
Towan Fields: grid reference 547376.
Present house-road names in Lelant village
Abbey Hill, Abbey Hill Mews, Abbey Meadow, Brewery Hill, Brush End, Church Close, Church Lane, Church Road, Eider Walk, Estuary View, Fore Street, Fulmar Close, Gadwall Rise, Green Lane, Kittiwake Close, Langweath Gardens, Lelant Meadows, Mount Pleasant, Pintail Avenue, Praed Place, Puffin Way, St Anne's Close, St Ives Road, St Uny Close, The Saltings, Saltings Close, Saltings Reach, Station Hill, Strawberry Lane, Trendreath Close, Tyringham Place, Tyringham Road, Tyringham Row, Vicarage Lane, and Widgeon Way. The south of the village is called Lower Lelant.
RGB BIRTILL Collection at the RIC
CARNE Collection at the RIC
Censuses for Lelant
Creighton: an 1835 map drawn by Robert Creighton and in Samuel Lewis Topographical Dictionary
CRO: Cornwall Record Office
Lelant Poor Book 1770-1802 : CRO P/120/12/1
MR: maps, drawn in 1820 by Charles Moody. Only copies of the maps made by I Rutger in 1838 survive. There is also a reference book with lists of tenants and holdings. They are in the Royal Institution of Cornwall, Truro, reference HJ/5/4.
Penheleg Ms: PAS Pool 'The Penheleg manuscript' in the Journal of the Royal Institution of Cornwall, 1959
SUBR: St Uny's baptism register.
TA: the tithe apportionment book of Lelant, dated about 1839.
TM: the tithe map of Lelant, dated about 1839.
WPRDC: West Penwith Rural District Council, 1894-1973.